When it comes to my hair, I am the first to admit I have splurged on some of the priciest hair treatments ever created. Yep, I have tried them all, but by far, the best results I have ever experienced was when I whipped something up, using ingredients I found in my own kitchen.
I am a huge fan of coconut oil, I always have some on hand at my house because I use it for just about everything. As soon as I notice my hair getting a little dry and brittle, that’s always my sign that it’s time to give my hair a nice healthy treat. Coconut oil has long been used to help nourish your hair and skin, but my secret ingredient is something a bit unexpected…cinnamon! Yep, the spice helps to stimulate blood circulation and help strengthen and protect your hair! FYI: cinnamon can help protect the hair from free radical damage, inflammation, and irritation. It also has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties as well. Oh, and adding cinnamon to your hair creates a nice warm tingle, too!
(Note: I suggest performing a patch test with a smaller batch to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction.) Here’s my go-to recipe:
Coconut & Cinnamon Scalp Elixir
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons of coconut oil (less if you have shorter hair)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well blended. Apply the mixture on damp hair and focus on massaging into your scalp and work your way down to the roots of your hair. Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
More DIY Hair Treatments
I asked some beauty experts to share their favorite recipes.
Elizabeth Dailey, beauty blogger at The Blushing Bliss
One of my favorite DIY treatments for my hair is a hot oil treatment. The warmth of the oils help to seal the hair cuticle for shiner, smoother hair. What I love about this treatment is that you can use whatever oils you have on hand! I do this treatment 1-2x a month and leave it on overnight and it helps to reduce frizz, split ends and breakage.
DIY Hot Oil Treatment
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon of castor oil
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of argan oil
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- In a bowl, mix together the coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, and argan oil.
- Add in the teaspoon of honey and stir until well combined.
- Warm mixture in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until warmed. Let cool a few minutes before touching.
- Wet your hair and use your fingers to apply the mixture to your hair from root to tip. You can massage the oils into your scalp as well.
- Use a comb to evenly distribute the mask throughout your hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and let the mask sit for at least 30 minutes, or overnight for maximum benefits.
- Rinse the mask out with warm water, then shampoo and condition your hair as normal.
Eliza Pineda, hair, beauty, wellness for Mayraki Professional
Olive Oil and Honey Hair Mask
“This is my go-to mask whenever my hair is feeling dull and dry. Both honey and olive oil are incredibly moisturizing ingredients, as honey is a natural humectant and olive oil contains high amounts of fatty acids, which gives hair amazing shine and softness afterward.”
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of honey
- Conditioner (optional)
Mix the olive oil and honey together in a small pot. Place on the stove and turn to low heat. Stir continuously until evenly combined. Make sure that the mixture is only simmering slightly and not boiling. Remove from the heat if the mixture gets too hot. Pour the mixture into a ceramic mug or bowl and stir continuously. Optionally, once the mixture is cool enough, you can add a bit of conditioner to bind everything and improve its texture. Apply to hair and leave on for 30 minutes. You can use a shower cap to keep things moist and activated. After 30 minutes, wash off the residue thoroughly by shampooing twice or more, if needed.
Avocado and Egg Hair Mask
“Hair doesn’t only need moisture; it needs protein, too! This hair mask is great if you feel your hair is brittle, thin, and damaged. High amounts of protein are found in avocados and eggs, which will strengthen and repair hair. Egg yolks also contain peptides that can help with hair growth. This hair mask is best used once or twice a week.”
- 1 avocado
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Scoop out the meat of the avocado into a bowl and mash. Mix and scramble the egg in a separate bowl and pour in with the avocado. Add the olive oil and mix together all the ingredients. Apply onto hair and leave on for at least one hour. Wash residue off thoroughly.
DIY Hair Oil Tips
Hair oil treatments are excellent for moisturizing both the hair and the scalp, says Dr. Heather Smith, physician, and founder of Bareluxe Skincare. “Some specific oils and botanicals can help with inflammatory conditions and problems like hair loss, itch, and dandruff,” she says. “It is very easy to incorporate oils into your hair care, especially you want to take a simple approach with ingredients you might already have around the house.”
The steps for using a hair oil are easy:
- Plan the night before you know you’ll be showering the next morning
- Always start with dry hair.
- Take a small amount of oil (5-10 drops depending on your preference)
- Massage gently into your scalp and comb through
- The next morning, shampoo and condition *like normal* (don’t scrub extra or wash twice)
“As far as oil choices go, the options are endless,” says Dr. Smith. “Using oils from around the house will work well. If you tend to be oilier, start with a lighter option like sunflower or grapeseed oil. If you have dry hair or scalp, oils like coconut and avocado are great.”