Oscar Wilde once wrote, “The curves of your lips rewrite history.”
Little did Wilde know how our fascination with lips would change the course of history. No matter the time era, there has always been a major focus on lips, whether it was the defined cupid’s bow of the 1920s or the heavily glossed lips of the early 2000s. Many of us can agree that a majority of these trends look amazing on a fuller set of lips.
While there are plenty of makeup tricks available on platforms like TikTok to (temporarily) change the shape of your lips, there are not many well-known and, more importantly, safe tips for making your lips appear fuller.
@dorie.mua USING LIP LINER TO CHANGE MY LIP SHAPE. Part 1: Larger Upper Lip💋#greenscreen #beauty #blackgirltiktok #makeupforblackwomen #softglammakeup #makeuptips #lipcombo #lipliner ♬ original sound - Dorie | Makeup•Beauty
If you’re anything like me and you’re a bit reluctant to have needles touch your face; fear not, there are several filler alternatives you can check out if you want to pump up your pout.
Expert Lip Service
We reached out to Dr. Ekta Yadav, MD MBA MS, and founder of the popular beauty industry podcast Skincare Anarchy for her suggestions on how to naturally plump your lips.
- Exfoliation: Regular exfoliation of the lips can help increase blood flow and make the lips appear fuller. You can use a lip scrub or a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently exfoliate your lips. A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology suggests that exfoliation can help improve the appearance of the lips by removing dead skin cells and improving blood circulation.
- Hydration: Keeping your lips hydrated can also help make them look fuller. Drinking plenty of water and using a moisturizing lip balm can help prevent dryness and chapping, which can make the lips appear thin and dull. A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology suggests that moisturizing lip balms can help improve the texture and appearance of the lips.
- Massage: Massaging the lips can help stimulate blood flow and make them appear plumper. You can use your fingers or a lip massager to gently massage the lips in circular motions. A study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science suggests that massage can help increase blood flow and improve the appearance of the lips.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a natural ingredient that can help increase blood flow and plump up the lips. You can mix a small amount of cinnamon powder with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil or almond oil, and apply it to your lips. A study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food suggests that cinnamon has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help improve the health and appearance of the lips.
- Peppermint Oil: Peppermint oil is another natural ingredient that can help plump up the lips. You can mix a small amount of peppermint oil with a carrier oil and apply it to your lips. A study published in the Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science suggests that peppermint oil has a cooling and refreshing effect that can help stimulate blood flow and make the lips appear fuller.
Dr. Yadav noted, “It’s important to note that while these natural methods can help improve the appearance of your lips, they may not provide the same dramatic results as fillers. Additionally, some natural ingredients can cause skin irritation or allergic reactions, so it’s important to do a patch test before using them.”
We also reached out to Dr. Yelena Yeretsy of the NYC West Village-based medical aesthetic practice Clinique YFT for her feedback.
“Let’s set the record straight- nothing will ever really plump your lips like an injectable filler. With that being said, there are products you could use that will temporarily give your pout the plump effect. Exfoliating with a lip scrub followed by a gloss or balm that has any type of peppermint, menthol, or spice ingredient could do the trick,” Dr. Yeretsy stated.
When In Doubt, Lip-Plumper It Out
In addition to the methods our experts provided, there are a few products on the market that are known for their lip-plumping properties. We love JOAH Beauty’s Drinks on Me Collection Top It Off Plumping Lip Oil ($8.99).
Other great lip pluming options:
- KOSAS Plump & Juicy Lip Booster Buttery Treatment ($25)
- Too Faced Lip Injection Maximum Plump Extra Strength Hydrating Lip Plumper ($33)
- Black Radiance Beyond A Pout Plumping Lip Lacquer ($6)
At the end of the day, Yeretsky points out that none of these methods are permanent. Whether you have a fuller pout or a more modest pair, lips, like flowers, are all beautiful in their unique way.